« Back to Full Tour
Think you know all the townships and boroughs in Lebanon County?
Take the land expansion tour and see how the county has grown throughout the years.
Trivia: What city in Lebanon County was originally a small town called Steitztown?
This tour focuses on the development of Lebanon County.
Discover the ways this once rural community developed throughout the years.
Trivia: What was the name of the first fire company in Lebanon?
This tour will take you on an adventure focused on the military history of Lebanon County.
You will learn about people, places, and things, which impacted this county due to war.
Learn the story behind how this Bible and pocket watch saved a man's life during the civil war.
Politics have always been entwined in the history of Lebanon County.
Uncover facts about the county's government and learn which president practiced law in the Stoy Museum!
Trivia: Which president visited the Coleman family in Lebanon County and was served from this tea kettle?
This tour will highlight interesting facts about life throughout the county.
What does a vaudeville dress, a bicycle, and a stained glass window have to do with Lebonon County? Find
out by taking this tour.
This medical exam card belonged to a baseball player who joined the Bethlehem Steel team. Hint: He was one of the most famous baseball players of all time!
Reputed to have been used at ‘Light’s Fort’ to warn of Native American attacks during the Seven Years’ or French and Indian War (1754-1763). Originally built by Johannes Leicht (John Light), the large stone home of the Light family served as one of several makeshift stockades for the colonial inhabitants of the Lebanon Valley as French allied Native Americans raided the borderlands of Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia from 1755-1758.
The Flying Camps were battalions of volunteers from Pennsylvania, Maryland, and New Jersey that entered into service in conjunction with the Continental Army for six months from May-November 1776. Volunteers from the Lancaster County townships that would later become Lebanon County served as part of Flying Camp and were apparently present at the American defense of New York in 1776. Through the course of the war men from the Lebanon Valley served in the Lancaster County militia and the Continental Army. There are more than 250 recognized veterans of the American Revolution buried in Lebanon County.
This canteen was used by Phillip Allwein of Lebanon, PA during the war of 1812. The County militia was organized for service in the war for 1812.
This drum is from the Perseverance band, formed in 1857. The “Perse” was the regimental band for the 93rd Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. Today it is a community band, and has the distinction of being the oldest continuously operating band in Lebanon County.
In late May 1862, the 93rd regiment fought during the Civil War at Fair Oaks, Va. Captain Eli Daugherty narrowly escaped death when a bullet pierced his vest pocket, hitting a gold pocket watch and passing through 600 pages of the Bible he was carrying. The bullet wounded him, but the watch and the Bible had taken the brunt of the bullet's force, saving his life.
These Salt and Pepper shakers were early souvenirs from Mt. Gretna, Pa. In 1885 the Pennsylvania National Guard began a 50-year annual encampment at Mt. Gretna, using 120 acres of this area as its summer encampment site. This proved to be so satisfactory that it was 1935 before they moved to the Indiantown Gap area because they had outgrown the site.
Francis R. Boughter spent his entire adult life serving in the navy. While in the navy, he earned a medal for commanding a Hospital Ship, Solace, on the China Station. This sword, from the around the Spanish-American War era (1898) and the Boxer Rebellion in China (1900), was used for ceremonial purposes and would have been worn with his dress uniform. Francis Boughter also used to live at 924 Cumberland Street, where the Historical Society now resides.
Although women were rare in the military around World War II, this army nurses uniform belonged to Kathleen E. Yiengst.